Our activity in this sector is based upon our long time cooperation with the Social Insurance Institution (ZUS). We created the Comprehensive IT System for ZUS and continue to extend and maintain the System. The System, in respect of the volume of the data processed, is one of the largest and most complicated IT systems in Central and Eastern Europe.
service 240 million
over 500 million
20 million insured
Kompleksowy System Informatyczny ZUS (KSI ZUS) is a dedicated, multiplatform and multisystem system developed for the Social Insurance Institution. The system covers all the Institution’s statutory tasks associated with social insurance. KSI ZUS is the country’s largest IT system, both in terms of the amount of collected information, and in terms of the number of people using the system and the frequency of such usage. It is also one of Poland’s strategic IT systems.
KSI ZUS is a centralized system that can be compared to the IT system of a bank managing ca. 100 million accounts, with each account having several operations per month. Today, the system is used by over 16 thousand of ZUS’ employees that access 60 TB of operational data. KSI ZUS is also used by over 1 million of employers that use the “Płatnik” software. Nearly 900 thousand of the employers send their documents electronically.
KSI ZUS is mostly based on IBM Mainframe platform. The deployment is the largest one in Central Europe, and is comparable to the world’s largest deployments. KSI ZUS:
- collects and processes ca. 240 million insurance documents per annum, submitted by premium payers both in hard copy and electronically;
- maintains and updates central registers of premium payers (ca. 2 million entities), insured persons (ca. 20 million people) and Open Pension Fund members (currently 14 million people);
- automatically identifies payers and the insured on documents, verifies documents, rejects erroneous documents, posts correct documents in accounting books, and makes premium settlements for accounts of the funds, payers and insured (to this end, the system makes ca. 500 million accounting operations);
- supports premium payers, using the “Płatnik” software, in correct completion of insurance documents and sending them to ZUS;
- each year, prepares information for all insured persons on the balance of their individual pension accounts;
- uses dedicated software in regional ZUS branches to support 15 thousand employees in fulfilling their duties related to collecting social insurance premiums and maintaining individual accounts
KSI ZUS won the main prize in the eEurope Awards for eGovernment – 2005 competition organized by the European Institute of Public Administration (EIPA) that operates under the auspices of the European Commission. KSI ZUS was recognized for creating a suitable environment that allowed a public administration organization to achieve success in its IT project.
KSI ZUS has been named one of the most innovative systems in the area of government institution management in the scale of the entire continent. Its creation and deployment allowed Poland (as one of the few countries in Europe that managed to achieve this) to perform a thorough, end-to-end reform of the pension system.